February 1, 2009

American Festival Chorus - Night to Celebrate Lincoln

This top picture shows Chris, Melissa and our friend Brenna Clarke after the fantastic performance at the USU Kent Concert Hall. Craig Jessop, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's former director is now directing a community choir here in Logan. He led the choir and Orchestra in a night to celebrate Abraham Lincoln's 200th birthday. They had pictures on a screen during the performance that showed pictures from that time period. It was a truly inspiring performance.
Chris auditioned for the choir in January when Melissa told him they needed men. They didn't even audition any women. Luckily, Melissa tried out in August and has already had a semester under the direction of a true master, Dr. Craig Jessop. It was a sold out concert. Senator Bob Bennett came and narrated parts of the performance. They sang such wonderful pieces as Peace Like a River, Shenandoah, America the Beautiful, and the Story of the Battle Hymn, etc. We were thrilled that Melissa's in-laws even came to support her from Pocatello, Idaho!
The bottom picture is Chris just before going to the concert. I had to take a picture to document the occasion. This is his first tuxedo. He had to purchase one as they wear it every time they perform. I think the local men's store in town is glad Craig Jessop came to town and requires only the best. Doesn't he look handsome!!! Wow! Now I may have to have him take a dancing class or two to put this tux to good use!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do look great Dad! I'm so glad you get to experience it with me. Oh, and Mom, you can download my picture from my blog. Ask Joanna how to do it or I'll show you next time I come over.

Janalee Hubbard said...

I just posted on Melissa's blog about my sad experience with Lincoln's bicentennial concert. I showed up on the wrong day and missed it! Wish I could have been there, I'm sure it was fantastic!

MegaPPod said...

I had no idea Chris was going to be in this also! Sorry I missed it, it looks like a lot of fun. Good work all.