July 20, 2008

Pioneer Day Musings

I started a new post this morning, focusing on politics, but it got out of hand. Let's leave it at I am reading some really good thought-provoking stuff. If I put together the provoked thoughts in little article-blurbs, I'll let you know and you can dare to request them, but I won't foist them on you as a post. Since this week is the 24th of July, it is a good time to reflect on the pioneers. It can be as discouraging as motivating to contemplate all they accomplished in difficult circumstances. So I like hearing the occasional story that reminds me they had weaknesses that they struggled to overcome. This gives me hope, thinking that they weren't perfect, but still achieved worthy goals. Lorenzo Hill Hatch's diary reveals some of those glimpses. He was a pioneering ace, and his journal records many dramatic stories and grind-it-out hardships. But there are hints of emotional difficulties as well. Lorenzo was on his own while still in his mid-teens. His journal, written long after the death of his parents, mentions his uncle, who appropriated the few earthly goods that should have gone to Lorenzo. You can almost hear Lorenzo's teeth grinding decades later when he writes "He'll have his reward" as a (repeated) punctuation to the recounting of his uncle's misdeeds. It is not for me to judge Lorenzo, but when I think that my Great-Great Grandfather had a tough time letting go of the hurt and anger over an earthly miscarriage of justice, I feel a closer kinship to him as I deal with events that ought not to be. And I get a smidgen of hope that although I may not be able to do things (forgive and let go) better than he did, it may possible to do them faster than he did. Just a Pioneer Day thought. Love you all!

6 comments:

Chris said...

Sorry to be the first to comment on my own post, but hey, it looks like more people are commenting. This comment will probably be read long before the boring post with no pictures. Please be assured that I tried to break it into paragraphs, but they were all collapsed when I posted the entry. Is there some blog-savvy person out there who can tell me how to get paragraph breaks into a post? Socorro!

Chambers Clan said...

You are so funny dad. I had an interesting day of pioneers today leading the singing in Primary. I got all emotional to the stories of children in handcart companies thinking that if I was a parent on that trek that would be so hard, but it's something to think that they were so happy. Maybe I should try that when I'm down more often. Well to respond to your memory of me I thought I would add some of mine to yours. I love the talks we had in the early hours before seminary, and the thought provoking commentary on family scripture study. I think it has helped me now. I'm glad I never offended you with my standards. I think I learned so well from my parents. Thanks for all that you have taught me and still continue to teach me!

MegaPPod said...

Who cares about the pioneers? (Okay, I do, but not as much as the politics, sad to say). If I get a political blog running, will you post yours there as our first trial run?

Ronna & Dave said...

I discovered a cousin Willard Hatch, one of the Church pioneers in this area, now a patriach in a neighboring stake. Truman Madsen as the mission president a few years back told him because he was a great grandson of Lorenzo he could be trusted in any calling. He was the Bishop of the Ward from which the Rumford Branch was created on his recommendation. Just finished another Lorenzo biography. His dispised uncle was not the only one he encountered where he left the judgment to the Lord.

OccupyThis said...

Great post dad, but I'm ready for a political blog as is Jen! Let's get one going!

Adrien said...

This comment is actually for Michelle. My mom(Marcia Burell) saw yall had a blog and not being super computer savvy wanted me to send her email address along in hopes of getting in contact with you. She would love to hear from you. Her email is burellmama@aol.com Hope yall are doing well!
Adrien Burell Lowe